Position, Navigation and Timing (PNT) Engineer (Early/Mid-Career)
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
What Your Job Will Be Like
Organization 05322, NPC & Systems Integration is actively seeking a motivated and energetic early to mid-career Computer Science Engineer!
As the successful PNT engineer, embedded real-time systems experience is needed to work on the development and fielding of inertial navigation systems to solve emerging GPS-Denied and GPS-Degraded navigation problems. Our organization is leading a lab wide effort to bring GPS-Denied navigation solutions to the nation. We have partnered with five external military advisors to bring our research in line with national needs and have partnered with multiple universities to push innovation. We currently have work in areas such as sensor fusion, SAR-aided navigation, anti-spoofing, terrain-aided navigation, SAR/Visual correlation, geolocation using beacons, and modeling and simulation of navigation systems utilizing Alt-Nav sensors.
This position entails software and algorithm development for both real-time systems and modeling & simulation efforts, while working with highly experienced mentors, including a Senior Scientist.
Qualifications We Require
- BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Controls Engineering, or equivalent relative field.
- A strong analytical background, either through work experience or formal education.
- Ability to acquire and maintain a required US DOE security clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- MS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Controls Engineering, or equivalent relevant field.
- Working knowledge/experience with software development (C, C++/Java/Python).
- Working knowledge/experience with real-time embedded systems development.
- Working knowledge/experience with Modeling & Simulation using Simulink
- Experience with one or more of the following relevant application and mission domains: estimation, navigation, control systems, dynamics, optimization, Kalman filtering or signal processing theory.
- Experience analyzing data off detection/sensor systems
- Excellent teaming and communication skills.
About Our Team
The Navigation, Pointing, and Controls (NPC) Department at Sandia supports a diverse set of customers and technologies and currently has exciting opportunities available. The department specializes in inertial navigation using inertial measurement units (IMUs) and Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers, GPS-Denied and GPS-Degraded navigation, ultra-accurate position and velocity measurements for synthetic aperture radars (SAR), gimbal pointing with micro-radian accuracy for airborne and space remote sensing, modeling and simulation of space and earth based navigation and tracking systems, and a variety of controls problems. Some of the work areas include: GPS-denied and GPS-Degraded navigation, Unmanned Aerial Vehicle GNC algorithm development, hypersonic vehicle GNC algorithm development, ground vehicle navigation, missile flight trajectory and attitude reconstruction, and HWIL/SWIL simulators.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.