LIFE Data Science Ethics / Policy Intern
POSITION: LIFE Data Science Ethics / Policy Intern
LOCATION: New York, NY
ANTICIPATED START DATE: June 2021
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 22, 2021
Munich Re’s track record as one of the world’s leading reinsurance companies is based on a solid capital foundation, in-depth risk expertise and market know-how. Our data, our technology, and our teams place us in a unique position to lead the change to redefine the nature and impact of reinsurance for the future. We’re investing strategically in our world class talent, offering our employees a diverse and challenging work environment which promotes professional development, innovation, and passion – and rewards high performance.
Our internships provide you with an excellent opportunity to apply your classroom and technical training in the reinsurance industry. Joining our team, you’ll be: coached by experienced industry professionals, exposed to Munich Re leadership, challenged as a valuable team member doing meaningful work, and mentored to develop a solid foundation that will help position you as a future leader in the field.
In keeping with our global position as an industry leader and innovator, Munich Re is driving transformative change in the life insurance industry through data science. We are looking for someone who is passionate about the development and use of beneficial and responsible AI. You’ll work closely with technical teams, business leads and legal counsel to unify our bias and model assessment framework.
Responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to the following:
· Engage stakeholders in the debate around fairness, accuracy and transparency of machine learning models;
· Work closely with data science, legal, pricing and underwriting teams to understand levers for bias and fairness in the modelling and product design process;
· Research and outline bias considerations around the use of AI in financial products sold direct to consumer;
· Work with existing data science and business groups at Munich Re
We’re looking for well-rounded individuals who are technically astute, have strong communication skills, and demonstrate the ability to build positive relationships with internal clients. We’re seeking energetic and collaborative students who are excited to join our energetic team and show promise of becoming a future leader in the reinsurance space.
Specifically, we’re looking for the following qualifications:
· Currently enrolled in a Master’s or PhD program focused on the intersection of data science and public policy;
· Familiarity with analytics throughout the modeling lifecycle; including gathering data, design, model building, testing and validation, implementation, communication, and retraining;
· Solid communication skills; spoken & written, formal/informal presentation;
· Resourceful and able to learn quickly;
· Proven ability to thrive in a dynamic environment.
Preferred (but not required):
· Previous experience building models or with using analytic techniques in business processes;
· Previous exposure to insurance or financial services environment is preferred but not required.
Note that this opportunity is open to both current students who are returning to in-class studies upon the completion of the work term, as well as recent graduates who have obtained their degree within the past year.
Please note that only candidates who are selected for interview will be contacted directly.
We thank all candidates for their interest.