Tax Auditor Intern - Kansas City, MO
Department of Revenue - Field Compliance Bureau Audit Intern
The purpose of this internship is to prepare college juniors and seniors for entry into the business world by providing a thorough understanding of the tax auditing functions of the Missouri Department of Revenue, Field Compliance Bureau. The Field Compliance Bureau serves the public, state, and local governments by ensuring every taxpayer pays the right amount of tax.
The Field Compliance Bureau is a place for self-motivators who can work independently. Students will gain experience in two areas that are rarely covered in college courses but are integral to the business community: taxation and auditing. Students will have the opportunity to work side-by side with auditors to gain a unique, hands-on perspective of state government operations and to expand their knowledge base through exposure to a wide variety of industries. Flexible working schedules grant students the ability to continue with their education while maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
Our internship also highlights opportunities for employment in state government after successfully obtaining your Bachelor’s degree. The state offers great benefits and stability with a 40-hour per week work schedule. Additionally, continuous professional development opportunities help employees to develop and improve upon skills, paving the way for career growth.
Internship Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in sales, use, withholding, corporate income audits;
- Review company tax returns, financials, and related records to determine compliance with applicable statutes, regulations or case law;
- Receive formal and on-the-job training in the application of statutes, regulations, case law, procedures, and techniques of tax auditing;
- Research pertinent tax statutes, regulations, and case law;
- Review departmental databases for information and status of companies to be audited;
- Become familiar with the taxpayer's industry and specific business practices through inquiry and review of financial records;
- Assist with the computation of audit findings that will be submitted to the taxpayer;
- Assist with the preparation of audit workpapers documenting the scope of the audit, records reviewed, and correspondence;
- Submit workpapers for review, approval, and further processing;
- Assist in the preparation of formal or contested cases;
- Assist with the preparation of audit narrative; and
- Perform other related work as assigned.
- Minimum 2.5 GPA with a Major in Accounting, Finance, Business (or related field). Minimum of 12 credit hours towards eligible Major.
- Working knowledge of accounting principles and auditing standards and procedures;
- Working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database software packages associated with personal computers;
- Ability to learn and apply pertinent statutes, regulations, case law, and audit procedures;
- Ability to generate data requests and to extract, evaluate, and use information from a variety of business records;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, taxpayers, their representatives, and others involved in the audit process;
- Ability to organize time, work activities, and school/travel schedules to accomplish multiple audit assignments concurrently and achieve established goals; and
- Ability to communicate effectively and to prepare clear and concise reports.
- Participate in actual field audits and see all phases of the audit cycle.
- Work directly with a Mentor and Audit Staff.
- Develop vital skills important in today’s business environment including team-based interaction, the ability to manage outcome to aid in the direction of actual field audits.
- Gain a full understanding of the day-to-day operations of the Missouri Department of Revenue, Field Compliance Bureau.
- Explore a career with the Missouri Department of Revenue, Field Compliance Bureau with hands on experience prior to graduation.
- To be determined depending upon an intern’s school schedule.
Method of Compensation:
- This internship pays $16.31/hour.
- We will work with the student and his/her school to assist the individual in receiving college credit.
- Reimbursement of expenses incurred on the student’s behalf.
About the Field Compliance Bureau:
The Missouri Department of Revenue’s tax auditors are authorized by Missouri state law to conduct compliance audits for sales, use, withholding, and corporate income tax. The Department makes every effort to ensure these audits are conducted efficiently. The Department has six Missouri office locations; Cape Girardeau, Jefferson City, Joplin, Kansas City, St. Louis and Springfield. The Department also has six out-of-state locations; Chicago, IL, Dallas, TX, New York, NY, California, North Carolina and Alabama. For more information, please visit http://dor.mo.gov/business/audit/.
PLEASE DIRECT ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS POSITION TO:
The Missouri Department of Revenue Human Resources and Total Rewards office at (573) 751-1291.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees
The State of Missouri is an equal opportunity employer.